7 Fantastic Facts You Should Know About Cranes
A crane is a type of construction machine that consists of a hoist made from rope or chain. The hoist is used to lift and lower materials or move them horizontally. Typically, a crane is utilised in the construction of tall buildings.
There are myriads of interesting facts about cranes that you might not have known about. If you’re planning on using a hoisting machine for any project then read our article on crane facts first. That way, when you’re at a crane truck hire vendor you’ll know more about these commercial vehicles so you can make the right choice for your project the first time!
- 1 1. Cranes Were Invented by the Ancient Greeks
- 2 2. A Crane Can Be Used In Various Industries
- 3 3. The First Mobile Crane Was Created in The 1950s
- 4 4. There Are Over 200,000 Cranes Used Around the World
- 5 5. What’s the Tallest Crane in the World?
- 6 6. Why is This Machine Called a Crane?
- 7 7. Australia’s Infrastructure Development with Cranes
- 8 Final Thoughts
1. Cranes Were Invented by the Ancient Greeks
The first crane was built by the ancient Greeks in 500 BC. The ancient crane was built out of wood and rope was used for the hoist. In ancient times they used humans or animals to operate cranes.
To give you an idea of what the ancient crane could achieve look at the construction of the Parthenon which is a former temple built to worship the Goddess, Athena. The Parthenon is a massive construction which goes to show how big the crane had to be to lift the heavy pillars and rocks of the temple.
2. A Crane Can Be Used In Various Industries
As mentioned before a crane is a versatile machine that can be used for myriads of projects such as the following:
- Entertainment industry to build movie sets
- Auto industry to transport or repair cars
- Used in mining to move large quantities of material
- Emergency industry to remove cars from accidents or rubble from a demolished building
- Heavy equipment repairs for buildings and commercial vehicles
- Cranes can be used to load and offload cargo
- To mount materials for building construction
3. The First Mobile Crane Was Created in The 1950s
When the steam engine was invented in the late 19th century the same technology was integrated into many construction machines you see today including the power crane. This eliminated the need for humans or animals to operate the hoisting machine.
In the 1950s the first mobile crane was invented. Stronger steel was being manufactured so the cranes had to be transported on the back of trucks. This inspired the invention of the first mobile crane.
Hans Liebherr who was a famous inventor helped design the mobile crane and the world’s first hydraulic excavator.
4. There Are Over 200,000 Cranes Used Around the World
It’s said that there are over 125,000 cranes used in the construction industry and 80,000 to 100,000 of these machines are utilised in cargo transportation.
However, there are at least seven types of cranes that make up the 200,000 machines on earth which are the following:
- Tower cranes
- Truck-mounted crane
- Overhead crane
- Loader crane
- Telescopic crane
- Mobile cranes
- Rough terrain crane
Cranes can also be remote-controlled from the ground so that there is precision when mounting, loading or moving materials.
5. What’s the Tallest Crane in the World?
The Liebherr 11200-9.1 is the world’s tallest and strongest mobile crane. This powerful machine can lift up to 1179 tons and it can reach heights of 550ft. Liebherr’s crane also has the longest telescopic boom that extends 100m.
A Liebherr 11200-9.1 crane was used to construct wind turbines on 40m high storage towers in Gaildorf, Germany by a company called Max Bogl.
6. Why is This Machine Called a Crane?
The construction machine was named after a bird with the name crane. This is because the machine resembles a crane bird that has a long neck and tall stature. The crane bird is known as the tallest flying animal in the world. So it’s only fitting that the powerful construction machine is named after the strong tall bird.
7. Australia’s Infrastructure Development with Cranes
Did you know that Australia has more cranes than the USA? This is because Australia has had a population growth over the years which requires an increase in infrastructure development.
There are over 735 cranes throughout Australia used to build new infrastructure that’s boosting economic and employment growth. Sydney and Melbourne have 74% of the cranes in Australia alone.
So if you’re looking for crane truck hire Melbourne service providers can help you find one in any industrial area in the city.
As you can see many industries utilise cranes to streamline workflow and to develop areas in Australia. Do you want to be a developer in your city? Perhaps the first construction machine you should opt for is a crane truck.
You’ll have more freedom with a high rise construction machine because you’ll have the option to build small and large buildings.
Is there anything else you’d like to know about cranes? Let us know in the comments below. We’d be happy to provide you with more information about these powerful construction machines.