10+ Best Sites to Download Free EBooks in 2023
Looking to download free eBooks? Discover reputable sites offering a vast collection of digital books across various genres. Access classics, public domain works, and even recent releases at no cost. Explore our guide to find legal and trusted platforms for downloading free eBooks today.
Books are indeed man’s best friend. Quite more than often, we find solace in the warm smell of books and words that stir our souls. Unfortunately, owing to our busy schedules, we barely have the time to visit the bookstore and grab our favourite novel.
Thanks to technology, we now have free ebooks available. You do not have to visit the store or wait till they restock the book you want to purchase. Neither do you have to keep track of the last date of submission in the library, nor carry around the heavy books in your bag. You can simply download ebooks free and start reading without leaving your chair.
Here’s why E-books are in!
Considering how our mother planet is suffering the after-effects of deforestation, cutting down trees has turned out to be more and more hazardous. Did you know that e-books can help preserve trees by 37%? When you are looking for information, you can get it immediately by downloading an ebook. Moreover, it enables you to save space and reduce the clutter in your rooms.
You can simply save thousands and thousands of Ebooks on your device, and the biggest tomes generally take a mere space of 100 MB. You do not have to worry about carrying the weight around and access them almost everywhere. If you have them downloaded on your device, then you can read them without an internet connection.
There are no additional delivery and shipping charges involved when you purchase an ebook. Therefore, ebooks are not bound by geographic limitations. Be it a remote village or a city, be it the countryside or on an island – you can easily purchase and download an ebook if you have an Internet connection. All you need is a laptop or a tablet, and you would be good to go. Why not use the gifts to save the environment and take it easy on our pockets?
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of eBooks?
Advantages of eBooks:
- Read Anywhere, Anytime: Ebooks can be accessed on electronic devices like tablets, e-readers, or smartphones. You can carry your entire library with you wherever you go, making it easy to read on the bus, during travel, or while waiting in line.
- No Physical Space Needed: Unlike physical books, ebooks don’t take up any space on your bookshelves. They are stored digitally, so you don’t need to worry about clutter or finding extra storage.
- Easy to Get: With just an internet connection, you can instantly download ebooks from online stores. This is particularly helpful for people who live far from bookstores or have difficulty getting to a library.
- Adjustable Reading Settings: E-readers and reading apps allow you to customize the text size, font, and even the background color. This is great for people with vision problems or those who prefer a certain reading style.
- Quick Search and Reference: Ebooks often come with search functions, so you can easily find specific words or information in the book. This is a big advantage for students and researchers who need to locate particular details quickly.
- Eco-Friendly: Since ebooks don’t require paper and printing, they are more environmentally friendly. Choosing ebooks over physical books can help reduce deforestation and waste.
Disadvantages of eBooks:
- Eye Strain and Screen Time: Reading on electronic devices for long periods can strain your eyes and cause fatigue. Also, the blue light from screens might disrupt your sleep if you read before bedtime.
- Battery Dependence: E-readers and tablets need to be charged. If the battery dies while you’re reading, you’ll have to wait until it’s charged again to continue.
- Device Compatibility: Accessing ebooks requires compatible devices. If your device becomes outdated or malfunctions, it may affect your ability to read your ebooks.
- Digital Rights Management (DRM): Some eBooks have DRM protection, which can limit sharing or transferring them to other devices. This means you might have less freedom with your purchased ebooks.
- Distractions: Reading on electronic devices can expose you to other distractions like notifications from apps, emails, or social media. This may disrupt your reading flow.
- Lack of Tactile Experience: Unlike physical books, ebooks lack the physical sensation of holding and flipping through pages, which some readers find enjoyable and comforting.
15 FREE EBOOK DOWNLOADING SITES TO FEED THE BOOKWORM IN YOU
Now, most of you believe that eBooks are more expensive than paperback books. Allow me to tell you, my bookworm friend, that you are mistaken.
As a gift from a fellow reader to another, I have listed the 15 free eBook download PDF sites. Do take a look!
Project Gutenberg is a pioneering digital library that has been providing free access to an extensive collection of ebooks since its inception in 1971. Its primary focus is to preserve and share public domain literary works, which include classic literature, historical texts, and other significant writings.
The platform offers tens of thousands of ebooks covering various genres, languages, and time periods, making it a valuable resource for both scholars and avid readers.
Users can find timeless novels, iconic plays, philosophical treatises, and historical documents from renowned authors like Shakespeare, Austen, Dickens, and Twain, among many others.
The best part is that all the ebooks are entirely free to download and use since they are not bound by copyright restrictions due to their public domain status.
As a result, Project Gutenberg continues to serve as a treasure trove of knowledge and entertainment, making literary classics accessible to a global audience without any cost or legal barriers.
An open online project, the Internet Archive has a million options when it comes to books. You can search for a ebook using the title of the ebook or the author.
Internet Archive also has several textbooks and course material available on Internet Archive. They specialise in dealing with ebooks that are rare in the physical book market.
If you have been trying to locate a ebook that has gone out of print, then this is the site for you. You can also find some of the literary gems in different languages here.
Ebooks are not just for storybook lovers. If you are a student trying to save up on some money, then free e-books can help you save a lot.
BookBoon is one such site that you can use to download educational and business textbooks for free.
Bookboon has an easy interface, making it very easy to use. You can simply download ebooks without having to go through the trouble of opening an account. You can find more than 1,000 free ebooks categorised according to subjects and genres that makes it even easier to navigate through.
Much like the Play store, Google eBookstore has a huge collection of ebooks on offer. All you need to do is go to the free section of ebooks, and you will find a huge database of some of the bestsellers. You can even filter them by the genre or the author of the ebook. If you are a classic literature lover like me, then Google Ebookstore is your haven.
You will find most of Austen and Woolf’s best work in the free section along with contemporary author’s like Dan Brown. You can download ebooks free and in several formats. They also have a special section for audiobooks.
At ManyBooks, you can get your hands on more than 20,000 ebooks with one click of your mouse. Most of the eBooks – ranging from fictional novels to medical ebooks – can be downloaded free of cost. You can filter the eBooks according to the genre or title and browse through the list.
Unlike many downloading sites, you can find ebooks in several languages. These ebooks are compatible with all kinds of platforms – iPads, Kindles and Smartphones. You can also check the reviews and ratings of a ebook before downloading it.
Much like Google E-bookstore, you need to sign up for an account on Feedbooks if you want to download a free ebook.
The ebooks are available free of charge only when they are accessible via public domain. Make sure that you head to the “Public Domain” tab to download ebook.
One hardly comes across sites dedicated to children’s ebooks. If you are searching for a good children’s ebook, then you can check out the free ebooks available from the International Digital Children’s Library. You will find most award-winning eBooks according to reading levels and length of the ebooks.
From Enid Blyton to Hans Christian Anderson – there is a wide selection of books in store for you.
Another favourite online ebooks download site among students, FreeBookSpot has over 4,500 free ebooks available in 75+ categories.
If you are looking for scholarly ebooks, then this is what I prescribe.
From science to engineering ebooks, from history to literature – this site has it all. And it is just not limited to scholarly publications. You can find fiction and non-fiction ebooks all under one roof. And what’s more? You do not have to go through the hassle of registration to download free ebooks from this site.
The best thing about Free-eBooks is that the database is not just limited to ebooks. You can get magazines and journals as well. It is an excellent source for online authors too.
If you are one of them, then this site can help you share your ebook with others. You need to become a member to access the Free-EBooks.Net library. The good news is that there is no registration fee.
GetFreeEBooks is another site for the bookworms. The database has all kinds of ebooks – storybooks to academic ones.
The academic resources available on this site can provide you with much-needed assignment help. As it claims, all the ebooks are free and downloadable.
Scribd is an online document-sharing site through which you can save, download and share ebooks.
Scribd supports most formats like PDF, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. You can either download a document or embed it in your blog.
Visit this site and find the links to various ebooks on several genres. You can find textbooks as well as novels and story ebooks in LibriVox.
Librivox also has several non-fiction ebooks like self-help and art ebooks as well as classic literature ebooks.
Most of the ebooks are in PDF formats, which are supported in all types of gadgets. The best thing about Librivox is that it has audio versions of all the ebooks too.
If you are a student of computer engineering or a gizmo freak, then this site is a treasure trove for you. You will come across an extensive collection of free online ebooks belonging to categories like Computer, Programming, and gaming. You can also find technical lecture notes and tutorials for the subjects mentioned above.
FreeComputerBooks boasts of 12 top categories along with 150 sub-categories that you can choose from. You can only understand how rich a database it has.
At Centsless, you can find most of your favourite novels as free ebooks. Most of the times, people find several pages missing from an e-book. However that isn’t the problem with this site. The files are far from pirated copies with missing pages.
Before you download ebook, you can check whether the ebook has attained a PLR (private label rights) or not and whether it has all the master rights required to be on sale. Centsless is known for its vast stock of contemporary ebooks.
All you need is an internet connection to have access to the ebooks and education materials, available on the site. Bookyards which are available for free are divided into different categories. The categories start from subjects like business, computing, and go on to cover arts and history.
All you need to do is select the category of the e-book you are looking for to filter the book from the stock of 30,000+ free ebooks.
Recommended Reading :
- 10 Best Free PDF Editor for Mac
- 6 Best Photo/Image Viewers for Windows 10
- 10 Best Photoshop Alternatives You Need To Know
- Free Email Marketing Tools to Save You Time and Money
- Best Free Email Signature Generators
- 10 Most Secure Email Providers
- What are free eBook download sites?
Free eBook download sites are online platforms where you can access and download digital books without any cost. These sites offer a wide range of titles across various genres and categories.
- Are free eBook sites legal?
Many free eBook sites offer legal and authorized content. Public domain books, which have expired copyrights, are freely available for download. However, it’s important to be cautious as some sites may host copyrighted material without proper authorization. Stick to reputable sites to ensure legality.
- Are the books on free eBook download sites of good quality?
The quality of books on free eBook download sites can vary. Public domain books, particularly classics, tend to be well-formatted and edited. However, user-uploaded content might have inconsistencies. It’s advisable to read user reviews or check the site’s credibility to gauge the quality of books.
- Can I find recent or popular books on free eBook sites?
While free eBook sites primarily offer public domain and older titles, some sites also feature recent releases or promotional deals. However, availability may be limited. For more recent and popular titles, consider checking out library platforms that offer eBook lending services.
- Do I need to create an account to download free eBooks?
It depends on the site. Some free eBook sites allow instant downloading without requiring an account, while others may require registration. Creating an account often provides additional features such as personalized recommendations and bookmark syncing.
- Can I read free eBooks on any device?
Most free eBook sites offer eBooks in common formats like PDF, EPUB, and MOBI, which are compatible with various devices and e-readers. You can read these eBooks on smartphones, tablets, e-readers, and computers using appropriate reading apps or software.
- Are free eBook download sites safe and secure?
Reputable free eBook download sites prioritize user safety and security. However, caution is advised when downloading from unfamiliar sources. Stick to well-known sites with positive user reviews to minimize the risk of malware, viruses, or pirated content.
- Can I share free eBooks downloaded from these sites?
Sharing policies may vary depending on the site and book’s copyright status. Public domain books can generally be freely shared. However, copyrighted material usually comes with restrictions. It’s crucial to respect copyright laws and only share eBooks within the permitted terms.
- Can I print or convert free eBooks into other formats?
If you love to read books on the go, I have listed the 15 free ebook download sites. You know what they say – where there is a will, there is a way. So go, visit these sites and download your favourite books.
Start reading them RIGHT now!