Amazon Listing Secrets To Rank On The First Amazon Search Result Page (2023)
Being on Amazon’s first page is an incredible way to increase your product’s visibility, traffic, sales, and conversion. A good search engine ranking position will ensure that more potential shoppers will see your listings against their search query. However, for sellers to rank on Amazon’s first page, they must thoroughly understand how Amazon’s ranking algorithm (A9) works and use that information to modify their approach.
Here are a few tips and tricks that businesses can use when trying to rank on the first Amazon search result page. This article will also help you discover the role that Amazon listing service plays in helping businesses rank on the first Amazon page.
Amazon’s search algorithm: The concept
A search algorithm retrieves the information stored within a particular data structure based on relevance and quality against a specific search query. It must also evolve with changing customer behavior to ensure precise results for their queries. Google is the biggest example of a continuously evolving search algorithm, closely followed by Amazon.
There are numerous fundamental similarities between them. However, Google is focused on various types of searches (information, analytic, transnational, etc.). Amazon is only focused on decoding a user’s buying intent. Thus, while Google assesses websites by their accuracy, authority, objectivity, coverage, accessibility, design, and content, Amazon prioritizes the transnational value of a listing, seller ratings, sales figures, and such parameters against a query.
Amazon’s search algorithm (A9) determines product page ranking by evaluating listings on various such constraints. It displays the most relevant ones on the first page of the search results. Therefore, to rank on Amazon’s first page, you must prioritize Amazon listing optimization, i.e., morph your listings in tune with the phrases, keywords, and audience intent that it’s targeting.
Take a look at the factors A9 algorithm considers.
Amazon A9 algorithm: Key ranking factors
Amazon considers the following three key ranking factors for all search queries:
- Relevancy- It is a factor that tells the A9 algorithm to review your product listing for Amazon search results. To appear at the top of the page, ensure your product listing is precise and relevant.
- Conversion Rate- These factors affect the conversion rate on Amazon, including product prices, reviews, ratings, and product images, to name a few.
- Customer Satisfaction & Retention- These customer retention factors include order defect rate (ODR) and Amazon seller feedback. You’re more likely to close the deal if you receive more favorable seller feedback and positive ratings.
Factors to consider to rank on Amazon’s first page
Here is a list of ranking factors that the A9 algorithm used by Amazon uses when rating your products.
#1 Pertinent keywords (search terms)
While having high-volume keywords in your listing on Amazon is still a decisive factor in product ranking, the emphasis has switched to buyer intent. The Amazon algorithm- A9 encourages merchants to do more research to understand their buyer persona better.
- Rather than stuffing your Amazon product listing with high-volume search terms, try designing your Amazon listing in a compelling way that draws customers’ attention.
- Additional characteristics and keywords are now imperative for greater reasons. Download a “Category Listing Report” to add missing attributes by uploading them, or use the “Listing Quality Dashboard” to quickly edit Amazon product listings and ensure all relevant fields are filled up.
#2 Seller Authority
It is a known truth that Amazon places a high value on sellers’ marketplace activity, including sales rank, seller feedback ratings, stock levels, performance indicators, and order fulfillment methods (all of which are strongly related to customer experience).
Provide outstanding customer service to boost your seller rating and land the Buy Box:
- Timely and efficiently respond to client inquiries and deal with pertinent problems or grievances.
- Select a reliable fulfillment strategy to prevent shipment problems that lead to negative client feedback.
- Keep a tab on your stock levels to have your products available so customers can buy them immediately.
- Consider seller metrics, including order cancellation rate, refund rate, and accurate product tracking.
By offering various products, handling product returns/exchange right, and earning positive customer feedback, you give your customers exceptional value. Additionally, this significantly increases your chances of appearing highly on Amazon.
#3 Sales history & velocity
Undeniably, the more sales you make on Amazon, the more Amazon benefits! That said, your product listing will likely rank on Amazon’s first page if it currently earns significant sales.
Maintain your products’ availability and keep an eye out for any sales lulls or slow-moving inventory so you can move in with discounts or promotions.
- Increase your efforts to generate organic sales by launching a successful email marketing campaign or offering seasonal discounts.
#4 Click-through rate
The amount of clicks your product receives after appearing on a search results page is known as the click-through rate, and the greater your CTR, the higher your product’s rank. Since CTR is heavily weighted by the A9 algorithm for relevance determination, product titles, descriptions, and images are now more critical than ever as they directly impact CTR.
- Source internal traffic: Improve your CTR with a magnetizing product photo, compelling title, and informative description.
- Source external traffic (off-site): Based on your business requirements, bank on social media platforms with best-in-class creatives, apply for the Amazon Influencer Program, or go for strategies to win.
#5 Conversion rate
The proportion of website visitors that clicked on your Amazon product detail page and then made a purchase from you is yet another significant factor that affects your product ranking on Amazon.
There are numerous techniques to increase conversions, such as-
- Creating listing content relevant to shoppers’ search queries
- Maintaining competitive product prices
- Employing A+ Content to enhance the appeal of your Amazon listings,
- Posting compelling product videos that emphasize the advantages of your product
#6 Product reviews
Product ratings and reviews still play a key role in Amazon’s A9 ranking algorithm. A large number of positive reviews and ratings gives your product confirmation and justification for being ranked higher in search results by the Amazon A9 Algorithm- a call for Amazon merchants to pursue reviews with tenacity.
- Sell unique products that you can stand behind.
- Create an online community for your brand by developing a trusting relationship with your customers.
- Keep a tab on your customer reviews and respond to negative reviews, trying to get them converted.
- Make the most of social media platforms and interact with online influencers to market your products.
- Enroll in the Amazon Vine program to get honest and actionable feedback on your products.
#7 Amazon pay-per-click advertising
After the latest Amazon Algorithm update, rumors claimed that Sponsored Ads (Amazon PPC), the main Amazon SEO driving factor, had given way to organic sales. However, a stronger emphasis on relevance doesn’t necessarily lessen Amazon Advertising’s importance. PPC advertising on Amazon is still one of the most important ways to support your long-term sales plan.
- Diversify your advertising spending and make room for non-Amazon advertising to increase traffic to your product listings.
- Run Amazon Pay-Per-Click (PPC) ads to promote a new product line or improve underperforming listings.
- Display sponsored ads when they are most likely to convert.
By taking the time to optimize Amazon product listings, you’ll be able to provide an exceptional customer experience. In addition, following trends around the Amazon A9 algorithm will help you strategize ways to improve your ranking and increase sales.
As with something unfamiliar, adjusting to the revised Amazon algorithm takes some time and effort. Although our experienced advice won’t transform you into an Amazon SEO guru overnight, it can help you while promoting a coherent Amazon SEO optimization plan. However, the ideal recommendation is to hire Amazon product listing optimization experts or outsource Amazon listing service. Such dedicated resources can optimize Amazon listings following the most recent Amazon updates to guarantee first-page rankings for your listings.
Author Bio – Gracie Ben is a data analyst currently working at DataEntryIndia.in, a leading company providing data entry, data mining & data standardization services & other data-related solutions. For more than 10+ years, she has actively contributed to the growth of many enterprises & businesses (startups, SMEs, and big companies) by guiding them to utilize their data assets. Having a keen interest in data science, Gracie keeps herself up-to-date on all the latest data trends and technologies shaping the industry and transforming businesses. She has written over 1600 articles and informative blogs so far covering various topics, including data entry, data management, data mining, web research, and more.