Why IV infusion Therapy is So Important
There are diseases in which individuals find it very difficult to eat, drink, or take their medications. Many neurological diseases or disorders of the nervous system create such conditions. Intravenous (IV) therapy can be administered into the bloodstream directly by altering the immune system.
A sterile needle is inserted into the vein of a person’s elbow, wrist, or back of hand. Do not worry as this does not cause any pain. Nutrients are sent via a catheter, which is pushed over the needle. The needle is removed and the catheter remains in its place. If you want to learn the method to IV infusion you can practice becoming a phlebotomist.
In case there is pain or any other concern, one must immediately notify the doctor or the medical staff. It might be helpful to get in touch with someone who is either receiving or has already received IV infusion. Patients may be asked to take post-infusion medications, which must not be refused. A dressing must remain on the infusion site for 30 minutes or more. Let the medical staff know in case of allergies to surgical tape. The infusion process takes a little more than 1 hour.
It would help to distract the mind and not think too much on the procedure. After doing the homework of locating a reliable doctor, one must be able to trust the professional enough. The following activities will help keep the mind at ease:
- Reading magazines, newspapers, and books
- Solving a crossword or a Sudoku puzzle
- Listening to music on an I-pod, smartphone, or MP3 player
- Browse through pictures of family members and other loved ones
- If allowed, one can take snacks
- Study for an upcoming test, if any
- Watch a movie
- Work on the laptop
- Prepare a shopping list
- Create a list of places to travel
- Do not talk on the smartphone. Either place it on vibration mode or turn it off.
- Do not wear perfume in the medical center, as other patients may be allergic to it
Medical conditions treated by IV infusion therapy
Examples of some of the medical conditions are given below:
- Behcet’s disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Common variable immunodeficiency
- Multiple sclerosis
Apart from the above, one may require IV in case of dehydration as well. This is when too many fluids are lost from the body by means of sweating, excessive urination, and vomiting. Saline fluids, which comprise of a small percentage of sodium chloride, are commonly administered here.
Blood transfusions also make use of infusion therapy. Traumatic injuries lead to tremendous blood losses, and there are several cases in which blood is needed immediately. For this purpose, a large number of hospitals and their ambulances have IV pumps.
Availability of infusion hydration cocktails
Infusion hydration cocktails contain a large number of nutrients aimed towards overall wellness. There are also nutrient-based cocktails which are able to provide extra immune support and help in tissue repair. Antioxidants are also present in certain cocktails, which help the body fight infections.
Symptoms of deficiency
It would be helpful to know about health levels in the blood in case one or more of the following symptoms are being experienced:
- Changes in hair
- Lack of energy or unnatural fatigue
- Regular headaches
- Frequent infections
- Depression and changes in mood
- Loss of memory
- Nail discoloration
Preparing for the IV infusion
In order to ensure a pleasing experience, a patient must follow the procedures mentioned below:
- Prepare a complete list of all the questions that need to be answered by the doctor. One may have to schedule a separate appointment for this.
- Find out more information about the infusion medication. To know about places to get this information, speaking to the doctor would be helpful. Many pharmaceutical companies provide details on the Internet for patients.
- Before the infusion, remember to drink a lot of water. However, in case of a kidney, heart or a similar condition that does not permit consumption of large amounts of liquid, speak to the doctor.
- Always wear loose fitting clothes to the infusion. It would help to be comfortable when vital parameters are being measured. Of course, every infusion center is not the same, and so one must check the procedure first.
- To control temperature, it would help to wear layers of clothes. Certain IV infusions are likely to increase or decrease the temperature of a person.
- Give the medical staff a list of all emergency contact numbers and another list that has the complete list of medications being administered currently
- Come to the infusion center with a smile and positive attitude, with the awareness of being in safe hands
- Sit back, relax, and take deep breaths if necessary