The Economic Impact Associated With Insufficient Sleep
The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention of the United States has declared that insufficient sleep is undoubtedly one of the public health problems. According to recent studies, almost one-third of American adults do not get enough sleep regularly. It is important to understand that improper sleeping is not only a problem in United States but it is equally concerning several other industrialized countries like Canada, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom. According to the latest evidence, the people of modern society are not getting enough sleep and this is because of the lifestyle that they are leading. Psychosocial stress, smoking, no physical activity, consumption of alcohol, etc., do not allow people to get enough sleep.
Not getting enough sleep at night is associated with different negative social and health impacts. This includes the success rate of your kids in school as well as your success in the labor market. Over the last few years, the increasing evidence suggests that not sleeping properly can hurt the economy of the country to a great extent as well. The reason behind this is that sleep can affect productivity to a great extent and sleep deprivation is known to have unwanted economic consequences. To understand what insufficient sleep can do to the economy, it is crucial to understand certain important figures.
Given below is a list of the findings that you should know about. This will help you to understand how sleep deprivation affects the economy.
- The US is responsible for sustaining the highest economic loss of almost $411 billion every year because of the economy size.
- Japan had an economic loss of almost one $138 billion. However, the relative numbers have stated that the economic loss of Japan is higher in comparison to the US, followed by UK, Germany, and Canada.
- Annually, the US loses almost 1.23 million working days because of insufficient sleep. This number is followed by Japan, which loses almost 604000 working days every year. Both the UK as well as Germany has 209 thousand days off from work and Canada is responsible for losing 78000 working days.
This can have a huge impact on the economy and can lead to huge losses that the individuals might have to bear shortly. And it is unbelievable that this is happening only because people are not getting enough sleep due to the lifestyle that they are leading.
Given below is a list of recommendations that can help you to sleep better at night.
- You need to make sure that you are setting up a consistent wake-up time and limit your use of electronic products before you are sleeping. Also, do not forget to exercise, as that helps in boosting sleep, as stated by https://www.entrepreneur.com.
- Employers need to understand that sleep is important and therefore, better and brighter workplaces need to be designed. Employers need to help employees delete workplace stress as much as possible.
- Public authorities need to pay attention to sleep issues and make sure that actions have been taken to drive away sleep deprivation.
Individuals are responsible for the economic growth of the respective countries. It is important to make sure that you are getting enough sleep so that you can contribute to the betterment of your country’s economy.