DIY Tips for Creating the Perfect Home Patio
Do you have a big backyard space and even bigger ideas on what do with it? Is your patio area already there but could use a little touching up? It can be easier than you might think to take your patio or backyard and transform it from the part of the house you forget to show people on the tour to the centerpiece of your whole house.
Here are some helpful ideas to get you started, all of which can be done with a little know-how and a little more elbow grease.
Create a Patio
So, you’ve always dreamed of throwing parties and entertaining in your backyard. You walk outside, however, and all you see out there is a lot of grass you haven’t mowed and a fence that could use a paint job.
The first step to becoming the summer hangout of the neighborhood is to build yourself a patio. It will give your backyard a whole new atmosphere and will provide a space for all sorts of entertainment opportunities. We’ll get into those later, but first, you must decide: wood or concrete?
Wood Versus Concrete Patios
There are several upsides to building your patio with wood flooring. First off, it will be easier than pouring concrete. Some people really enjoy the look of hardwood, and it will give your patio area a more natural look (if that’s what you’re going for).
However, it will require more maintenance than the “set it and forget it” concrete option. Once you’ve got concrete in place, it’s good for years.
Outdoor Fire Feature
An outdoor fire feature can add warmth, coziness, and an inviting atmosphere to your patio, making it an ideal spot for gatherings and relaxation, even on chilly evenings. Whether you choose a fire pit or an outdoor fireplace, here are the steps to incorporate this fantastic element into your patio.
- Pick the Right Style: Choose between a fire pit for a relaxed vibe or a fireplace for elegance.
- Safe Spot: Find a safe location away from anything flammable and in line with local regulations.
- Materials: Gather fire-resistant materials like bricks and mortar.
- Build the Base: Create a level base using gravel or concrete.
- Construction: Follow your plan or use a DIY kit for easy assembly.
- Safety First: Install a spark screen and keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Seating: Arrange comfortable seating around the fire.
- Atmosphere: Add outdoor lighting for a magical ambiance.
- Maintenance: Keep it clean and store firewood properly.
- Enjoy: Relax, unwind, and create lasting memories with loved ones.
One Person’s Pallet Is Another Person’s Ottoman
Wood pallets are all the rage these days and for good reason. A crafty person can make almost anything out of them, and getting yourself some new furniture while spending almost nothing on materials can be well worth your time.
There are plenty of resources online that can give you ideas to get started. Think about making at least a few chairs, maybe a couch, and a table or two to turn your patio into a comfortable living space.
Create a refreshing oasis on your patio with a shade structure. Providing protection from the sun’s rays, it offers a comfortable and cool place to enjoy. Here’s how to do it:
- Choose the Perfect Shade: Select from options like a pergola, awning, or patio umbrella.
- Materials Needed: Gather the materials required for the chosen shade structure, such as wood, fabric, or metal.
- DIY or Pre-made: Decide whether to build the structure from scratch or use a pre-made kit.
- Build the Shade Structure: Follow the instructions for assembly or construction.
- Secure and Stable: Ensure the structure is stable and secure, especially in windy conditions.
- Personal Touch: Add elements like curtains, outdoor curtains, or climbing plants for a more charming look.
- Comfortable Seating: Place comfortable seating under the shade for a cozy retreat.
- Lighting Options: Consider adding lighting to the shade structure for evening use.
- Relax and Enjoy: Take pleasure in the cool shade and the lovely atmosphere it creates.
With a shade structure, your patio becomes a haven from the heat, where you can relax, entertain, and spend quality time with friends and family in comfort.
Touch Up Your Old Furniture
Maybe you’ve already got all the furniture you need, and a new rocking chair made of wood pallets sounds cool but just wouldn’t fit. No worries! Just refurbish the old and make it look brand new!
It’s always good to make sure that your outdoor furniture has weather-resistant cushions to make them last as long as possible. For both wood and metal furniture, a little paint job goes a long way. You can buy exterior decking paint that doesn’t even require a primer and can cover up splinters or cracks in the wood.
If your furniture is metal, scrape off that rust, and the old coat of paint down, and find your favorite color in a spray paint that doesn’t require a primer.
Outdoor Move Theatre
This could be the game-changer. Be warned, once your patio is this cool, your friends and neighbors won’t want to leave. You’ll need two things to make this happen: a projector and a screen.
Projectors are easily available online or in most retail stores for reasonable prices, and these days they make it easy to connect to your computer or whatever device you’re using to play the movie.
The screen can be either bought as a folding screen for easy storage, or you can make one yourself. If you’re making one yourself, find a large wall that you can aim the projector at easily.
If the wall happens to be a solid white, your job is done! The projector can play directly onto the wall and the image will be clear.
Otherwise, get yourself a large white sheet and rig it up with some PVC, so that it hangs on the top part of the wall and can be rolled down when you’re ready to use it.