10 Best Book Writing Softwares to Use in 2023
Writing a book is hard work. The best way to get through that work is by using tools and assignment writing help that make it easier.
You might be surprised to learn that there are quite a few different software to write a book.
What is Book Writing Software?
Imagine you’re an author, staring at a blank screen, trying to organize your thoughts and ideas into a cohesive story. Writing a book is a challenging task, and the writing process can often be overwhelming and chaotic. But what if there was a tool that could help you simplify and streamline the process?
Enter book writing software – a powerful tool designed to help writers of all levels and genres to create, organize, and edit their written work. This software is like a virtual writing assistant, offering a wide range of features and tools to help writers develop their ideas, structure their work, and refine their prose.
Book writing software also offers research and note-taking capabilities, allowing writers to collect and organize research materials and notes in one place. This can be particularly helpful for non-fiction writers or those working on historical or technical projects.
Importance of Book Writing Software for Writers
Book writing software has become increasingly popular among writers of all levels and genres, and for good reason.
- Provides a structured and organized platform for writers to manage their ideas and tame the chaos of writing.
- Offers tools that allow writers to explore their creativity and take risks, knowing they have the software to help them shape and refine their ideas.
- Enables writers to experiment with different story structures and plot points, offering suggestions and alternatives that might not have been considered otherwise.
- Helps writers to overcome writer’s block by providing a fresh perspective and new ways of approaching their work.
- Creates a virtual writing assistant that offers a supportive and collaborative environment for writers to refine their craft and learn from others.
- Offers writers the ability to easily edit and revise their work, making it easier to receive feedback and critique.
- Provides research and note-taking capabilities that allow writers to quickly and easily access information and organize their thoughts.
- Simplifies the publishing process by offering formatting and publishing options, saving writers time and effort in preparing their work for publication.
- Encourages productivity and goal-setting by providing tools for tracking progress and setting deadlines.
- Helps writers to improve their writing skills and develop their craft, resulting in a more polished and professional final product.
Top Book Writing Software
In this post, we’ll look at the best software to write a book and how they can help streamline your process—all with one goal: helping you write faster and better!
Scrivener is a powerful book writing software that helps you organize your ideas and research. It’s available on Windows, macOS and iOS. You can use it to write novels, short stories, screenplays, nonfiction books… the list goes on. The program has been around for over a decade—so it’s safe to say that there are loads of resources about how to use Scrivener effectively.
Developed by Literature and Latte, Scrivener offers a range of tools and features that help writers streamline their writing process, organize their ideas, and produce professional-quality manuscripts.
One of the key features of Scrivener is its flexibility and customizability. Writers can easily customize their writing environment, such as font, background color, and more, to suit their individual preferences. They can also choose from a range of templates and writing modes, such as screenplay or novel mode, to help them structure their work.
It offers a range of organizational tools that make it easy for writers to manage large writing projects. For example, writers can break their work down into smaller, manageable sections, and easily move sections around using the drag-and-drop interface. They can also use the corkboard and outliner views to visualize their work and make changes to their project structure.
This software also offers a range of revision and editing tools, including a powerful search and replace feature, the ability to track changes and revisions, and tools for formatting and exporting the final manuscript. These help writers to improve the quality of their work and produce a professional-quality manuscript.
- Excellent organizational tools with corkboard and outliner views
- Robust research capabilities and split-screen feature for easy integration of research and notes
- Multiple writing modes for different types of projects
- Streamlined editing and revising with change tracking and search and replace features
- Easy exporting options to various formats
- Cross-platform compatibility with Windows and Mac operating systems
- Great customer support and online community with tips and tutorials
- Steep learning curve with a lot of features and options to navigate
- Limited collaboration features, which can make it difficult for teams or editors to work on the same project
- No Android mobile app, which may be a disadvantage for writers who prefer to work on-the-go
- No real-time cloud syncing, which means changes made by one user may not immediately appear for others
- Interface can be busy, which may be distracting for writers who prefer a simpler, distraction-free writing environment.
Atticus is a cloud-based book writing software that provides a clean, distraction-free interface for writers. It offers a variety of features specifically designed for book writing, such as chapter and scene management, customizable metadata fields, and the ability to set writing goals.
One of the unique features of Atticus is its ability to generate character profiles and plot outlines based on user inputs. This can save writers a lot of time and help them organize their ideas more effectively.
It also offers collaborative writing tools, which makes it easy for co-authors and editors to work together on a project. Users can leave comments, suggest edits, and see real-time changes to the document.
In terms of pricing, Atticus offers a free version with basic features, as well as a paid version with additional features such as exporting to different file formats and integration with other writing tools.
Pros of Atticus:
- Simplifies the outlining process with drag-and-drop functionality
- Provides a variety of helpful writing tools such as character and plot development templates
- Offers a distraction-free writing environment with customizable themes and layouts
- Allows for seamless collaboration with team members through shared folders and version history tracking
- Offers an affordable pricing plan compared to other
- Provides a free trial period for users to test out the software before committing to a subscription.
Cons of Atticus:
- Limited formatting options
- No offline mode or desktop app
- Some users report occasional glitches or crashes
- Limited sharing and collaboration features
- Mobile app has limited functionality compared to the web app
Google Docs is a versatile and user-friendly word processing software that can be used as a book writing software. While it is primarily a web-based word processor, it offers a variety of features that make it suitable for book writing, including collaborative editing, version history, and the ability to add comments and suggestions.
Additionally, Google Docs is free to use and offers a user-friendly interface that is accessible from any device with internet access.
While it may not have all the advanced features of best software to write a book, many writers find Google Docs to be a useful tool for drafting and editing their books.
- Collaboration with real-time editing and commenting features
- Accessibility from any device with an internet connection
- Automatic saving of changes made to a document
- Free tool that comes with a Google account
- Limited formatting options
- Internet connection required to access and edit documents
- Security concerns for storing sensitive book drafts on a cloud-based platform
- Steep learning curve for writers who are not familiar with the software
Evernote is a note-taking and organization software that can be used as a book writing software. While it may not be specifically designed for book writing, Evernote has several features that make it a useful tool for writers.
If you are working on your first novel, Evernote will help you by keeping all of your ideas in one place, so they don’t get lost or forgotten between computer sessions. It also allowed users to quickly search through previous notes and find thoughts that may have been buried under an avalanche of other words.
One of the best features of Evernote is its organizational tools. With the ability to create notebooks, tags, and notes, writers can keep track of all their book-related information with ease. The software also includes a web clipping feature that allows users to save web pages, images, and other online content directly to their notebooks. Additionally, files and documents can be attached to notes for convenient reference.
Another advantage of Evernote is its collaboration features. Multiple users can work on the same notebook or note, making it ideal for co-writing or working with an editor or beta reader. Furthermore, Evernote’s sharing options make it easy to collaborate with others.
Cross-platform compatibility is another benefit of Evernote. The software can be accessed on desktop, mobile, and web platforms, which means that writers can work on their book from virtually anywhere.
Pros of Evernote
- Evernote offers great organizational tools and a web clipping feature
- The software supports file attachments and collaboration with multiple users
- Cross-platform compatibility makes it easy to access notes from anywhere
- Evernote automatically syncs notes across all devices
Cons of Evernote
- The free version of Evernote has limited storage, and the paid version can be expensive.
- Some users have reported that the software can be slow to load on occasion.
- Evernote’s interface can be overwhelming for new users who are not familiar with its features.
- While Evernote is primarily a note-taking and organization software, it may not have all the advanced features that dedicated book writing software offers.
Dabble Writer is a specialized book writing software designed specifically for fiction writers. It offers a range of features and tools to help writers plan, organize, and write their stories in a seamless and effective manner.
With Dabble, writers can create detailed character profiles, worldbuilding notes, and plot outlines, as well as scene management tools to keep track of the story’s structure and pacing. By having all of this information in one place, writers can stay organized and keep their story on track.
Dabble Writer also offers customizable story structure templates, which can be a helpful starting point for writers who are struggling to structure their book. These templates provide a framework that writers can build on, making it easier to create a cohesive and engaging story.
Pros of Dabble
- Clean and user-friendly interface
- Comprehensive planning tools, including character profiles, worldbuilding notes, plot outlines, and scene management tools
- Customizable story structure templates to help writers structure their book
- Writing statistics and progress tracking tools to help writers stay motivated and focused on their goals
- Cloud-based software, allowing writers to access their work from anywhere with an internet connection
- Collaboration tools for co-writing projects or sharing work with beta readers
- Mobile app available for on-the-go writing
- Flexible pricing options, including a free trial and subscription plans for different budget and project needs.
Cons of Dabble
- Limited formatting options
- Limited customization options
- Limited export options
- Limited integrations
- Relatively new software
Freedom is an excellent app for blocking out distractions and getting work done. It’s also a good way to write books, blogs, articles and emails! You can use it to block distractions on your computer, phone or tablet.
This is great for anyone trying to focus on writing and needs a way to avoid getting distracted by social media, email or other apps that pop up notifications.
Freedom can certainly be helpful in aiding writers with productivity and minimizing distractions, it is not a book writing software in the traditional sense.
Freedom does not offer features such as outlining, character development tools, or manuscript formatting options that are typically found in dedicated book writing software programs.
Therefore, while it can be a helpful tool for writers, it would likely be best used in conjunction with a dedicated book writing software program.
Pros of Freedom:
- Freedom can block distracting websites and apps, which can help users stay focused and productive.
- The app allows users to create customized blocking sessions, which can be helpful for structuring work and taking breaks.
- Freedom can be used across multiple devices, allowing users to block distractions across all their technology.
- The app also includes a feature called “Locked Mode,” which prevents users from disabling the app during a blocking session, ensuring that they remain on task.
Cons of Freedom:
- Freedom lacks features for outlining and organizing a manuscript.
- It does not have character development tools or manuscript formatting options.
- The app may not help with writer’s block or plot development.
- Freedom may need to be used alongside other software programs.
- The app requires a paid subscription, which may not be feasible for some users.
Vellum is a best software to write a book designed specifically for indie authors who want to self-publish their books. With Vellum, users can easily format their manuscripts into professionally designed e-books and print books with just a few clicks.
The software offers a variety of pre-designed book templates to choose from, with options for customizing fonts, text sizes, and layout styles. Users can also easily add images, drop caps, and other design elements to enhance their book’s visual appeal.
One of the key advantages of Vellum is its user-friendly interface. Even those with no prior design or formatting experience can easily use the software to create high-quality, polished e-books and print books.
Vellum is a great option for authors who want to ensure their books are professionally formatted and designed, without the need for extensive design or formatting knowledge.
Pros of Vellum
- Easy to use interface that allows for customization of layout and design
- Integrates with most ebook platforms, including Amazon Kindle and Apple Books
- Automatic generation of table of contents, headers, and footers
- Offers a variety of design templates to choose from
- Supports the import of Word documents
- Provides previews of how your book will look on various devices
- Offers options for publishing print and ebook versions of your book
- Provides excellent customer support through email and their website.
Cons of Vellum
- available only for Mac users, limiting its accessibility to Windows or Linux users
- Somewhat expensive compared to other software options
- Limited options for customization beyond what is offered in their templates
- No built-in outlining or note-taking tools
- Limited collaboration features for co-authoring or sharing with beta readers
- No support for audiobook production.
Ulysses is a powerful and user-friendly book writing software that offers a wide range of features for writers of all skill levels. This app is designed for writers who want to focus on the creative process and need a clean and intuitive writing environment to do so.
One of the most attractive features of Ulysses is its streamlined interface. The app has a clean, modern design that is easy to navigate, which allows writers to focus on their writing without distractions. The app also offers a variety of formatting and styling options, making it easy to customize the look and feel of your document to suit your preferences.
Another benefit of Ulysses is its seamless synchronization across multiple devices. The app is available for Mac, iPhone, and iPad, and all your work is automatically saved and synced across all your devices through iCloud, allowing you to pick up where you left off no matter where you are.
The app also offers a variety of export options, allowing you to export your work in a variety of file formats including PDF, ePub, and HTML. This makes it easy to share your work with others or to submit it for publication.
Pros of Ulysses:
- Clean, distraction-free writing environment
- Organize and manage writing projects with ease
- Sync across all devices seamlessly
- Intuitive interface with customizable keyboard shortcuts
- Flexible export options for various file formats and platforms
- Integrated markup tools for formatting and structuring text
- Built-in writing goals and statistics to track progress
- Collaboration features for co-writing and editing with others
- Regular updates and improvements to the software.
Cons of Ulysses:
- Steep learning curve for new users
- Lack of support for Windows or Android devices
- No built-in outlining tool
- No option for automatic backups
- Limited customization options for interface and formatting
ProWritingAid is an efficient book writing software that offers an all-in-one solution for writers to improve their writing skills. The software offers several features that allow writers to enhance their writing and correct any grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, sentence structure, style, and consistency issues.
One of the main advantages of ProWritingAid is its comprehensive analysis of writing. The software offers an in-depth analysis of the text and provides suggestions for improvement. Users can choose from several different writing styles, including academic, business, creative, and technical writing, making it useful for writers in various fields.
ProWritingAid also offers integration with Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and other popular word processing software, making it easy for writers to incorporate its features into their writing workflow.
The software also includes a plagiarism checker, which is useful for writers who want to ensure that their work is original. Additionally, ProWritingAid offers a summary report that highlights the strengths and weaknesses of the text, which is useful for self-editing.
Pros of Prowritingaid:
- Offers comprehensive writing analysis and editing tools to improve the quality of your writing.
- Has a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate and use.
- Integrates with popular writing software like Microsoft Word and Google Docs, making it easy to use alongside your preferred writing platform.
- Provides detailed reports on your writing, including readability, sentence structure, and grammar.
- Offers a wide range of customization options to tailor the software to your specific writing needs.
- Provides access to a large library of educational resources on writing, grammar, and style to help you improve your skills.
- Supports multiple languages, making it useful for non-native English speakers and multilingual writers.
Cons of ProWritingAid:
- The free version has limited features and word count restrictions.
- The interface can be overwhelming for new users with a lot of options and settings to navigate.
- The suggestions provided by the software may not always be accurate or relevant to the context.
- It doesn’t offer real-time grammar checking and requires you to copy and paste your text into the app.
- It can slow down your writing process if you rely too much on the suggestions and corrections.
OmmWriter is a free and open-source application that helps you write your book by giving you a minimalist writing environment. You can set the background color, font and font size, typing speed, timer, and dictionary/thesaurus. With these features, it becomes easier to concentrate on writing your book without distractions from other applications or windows on the screen.
Experience writing with OmmWriter is like being transported into another world where all you need to do is focus on getting words down onto your screen so you can get them down on paper later. The distraction-free environment and its minimal interface make it easy to focus solely on what you are trying to say rather than on how much time has passed since you started writing a paragraph!
Contents.com is the platform that offers you a comprehensive solution for creating successful content. Thanks to the massive AI technology powered by GPT-4, Contents.com allows you to generate SEO-optimized texts, engaging images, and much more. With dozens of customizable templates, you can easily create copy for your social media posts, product descriptions for your e-commerce, informative blog articles, and even scripts for promotional videos. Contents.com supports you in creating high-performing and high-quality content, allowing you to save valuable time in your marketing strategy. Harness the power of Contents.com’s generative AI and transform your communication innovatively and effectively.
LibreOffice Writer is a free and open-source word processor that can be used to write books, reports, letters, poetry and short stories.
It’s an ideal writing tool for someone who wants the flexibility of working in a word processor but doesn’t want to spend money on one. The best thing about LibreOffice Writer is its support for numerous file formats (including Microsoft Word). This means you can easily import and export your work between different software.
If you need help focusing on your writing, Focus@Will is an excellent tool for you. It’s a free music service that provides ambient music designed to help you concentrate. Their music is carefully selected by artists who understand the science behind practical focus and attention. They offer several different genres of music that can suit whatever mood or style you’re in:
If you’re looking for something relaxing and soft, they have selections like “Focus-Calming Jazz” or “Focus-Meditation.”
Squibler is a simple tool for writing, editing and publishing. It’s got a clean interface that makes it easy to get started, along with an extensive library of templates and fonts. You can also add images from your computer or Flickr, or Unsplash. Or you can choose from one of their pre-made layouts and even create custom designs. Or use the ones they already have available in their library.
The free version allows you to write up to 10 pages per month. The paid version gives you unlimited pages at $9/month (or $49/year).
FocusWriter is true to its name. This distraction-free word processor will help you focus on the writing, not the distractions from a cluttered desktop.
FocusWriter is a full-screen word processor with no toolbars or menus in sight. It’s minimalist but has helpful writing features like customizable themes and text formatting options (including bold, italics, and underline). You can also set your keyboard shortcuts if you’re tired of using the mouse all day.
The program stores your work in documents called “sessions,” which are just files with unique titles. So you don’t lose everything if something goes wrong with your computer while working on an important manuscript.
- How to Pick the Right Online Bookkeeping Course for Your Business
- Best Sites to Download Free E-Books
- Top 10 Books to Read in a Lifetime from Amazon’s Books Editors
- 11 Most Popular Machine Learning Software Tools
When writing a book, it’s essential to have the right tools. These softwares to write a book will help you organize your thoughts and build an outline for your book. They also make it easier to keep track of characters, settings, and plot points as they come up while writing. And they make sure that everything flows smoothly so that you don’t end up with too many typos or grammatical errors!