Guest Post – The Best Motorcycle Events and Shows Across the World
Out of all the types of vehicles available for anyone’s transport needs, the motorcycle has proven to be a popular favorite. After all, why occupy too much space while you’re on the road if you can reduce it to half with a motorcycle? You can also buy yourself a brand new motorcycle at an affordable price, and lastly, you could feel the cool breeze flowing when you ride a motorcycle, thus giving you that feeling of total freedom that an enclosed vehicle can’t provide you.
No matter what exact motorcycle model you own right now, here are some of the best motorcycle events and shows across the world that you should take some time to visit:
#1. Sturgis Motorcycle Rally :
Held yearly every August in the state of South Dakota, the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is one of the largest motorcycle events in the United States.
- The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was established in 1938 as an event organized by the Jackpine Gypsies Motorcycle Club and first known as the Black Hills Classic.
- More than 700,000 people attended the 2015 edition of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, though the average crowd of roughly 300,000 to 500,000 people that the said motorbike event attracts isn’t enough. It was also in that same year that the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally became a ten-day event which runs from the first Friday up to the second Sunday of August.
#2. Daytona Beach Bike Week :
A close contender to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is the Daytona Beach Bike Week which is also a ten-day event held every year in the state of Florida.
- Unlike the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, the Daytona Beach Bike Week is held from the second Friday up to the third Sunday of March and typically attracts around 500,000 people.
- However, the Daytona Beach Bike Week wasn’t always held in March as its very first edition in 1937 that was known then as the Daytona 200 was held in January which makes it only a year older than the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
- The Daytona Beach Bike Week was also originally held on a beach and pavement course until 1961 when National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing founder William France Sr. transferred it to the Daytona International Speedway.
#3. Isle of Man Tourist Trophy Race :
If you plan on going to Europe instead of the United States with your motorcycle in tow, you may want to head over to the Isle of Man located between Great Britain and Ireland and participate in its annual Tourist Trophy Race held between the last Saturday of May and second Friday of June.
- The Isle of Man Tourist Trophy Race first got its start in 1907, which makes it one of the oldest motorcycle events in the world.
- If you’ve always wanted to scratch that itch to make your motorcycle go up to 200 miles per hour, the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy Race is the best outlet for that. You should remember though to ride your motorcycle at a maximum speed that you can still fully control as this motorcycle event got infamously branded for years as “the world’s most dangerous motorbike race.”
#4. Elefantreffen :
You may not be that fond of attending motorbike events and shows with crowds spanning hundreds of thousands. Thankfully, you can go to the Bavarian Forest in Germany instead and participate in the Elefantreffen – or Elephant Rally in English – which is held every last weekend of January or the first weekend of February almost every year since its inception in 1956.
- As the Elefantreffen is a winter motorcycle rally; of course, you would want to wear some season-appropriate clothes to keep you warm while riding your motorbike on your way there.
- Because of the less than ideal road conditions during the winter season, the Elefantreffen attracts only between 5,000 to 10,000 attendees each year. Thus, you should ride your motorcycle to the Elefantreffen only if you’re up for a challenge.
- You would also want to make sure that your motorcycle is street-legal and can carry any camping gear that you might decide to bring along with you to the Elefantreffen. Motorcycle trailers and tents with furnaces in them aren’t allowed in this event.
- You shouldn’t confuse the Elefantreffen with the Altes Elefantentreffen though, which was first held in 1988 when the former’s organizer, the Bundesverband der Motorradfahrer – or the German Federal Association of Motorcycle Riders in English, canceled the event and the latter was then put up by another group of organizers as a result. The Elefantreffen is also held first followed by the Altes Elefantreffen two weeks later.
Despite a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center wherein they found out that only 7 to 26 percent of American and European households have a motorbike, enthusiasm for the said type of vehicle isn’t going to fade away anytime soon. If you’re a motorcycle enthusiast yourself, you will want to visit the above-listed best motorcycle events across the world that are being held each year both in the United States and in Europe – thus, the previously mentioned statistic.
You can even bring a friend along to any of those global motorcycle events and shows. Who knows if they may find the world of motorcycles thrilling enough to make them want to buy one for themselves too?
If you’re a motorcycle buff who is into genuine Harley-Davidson parts, this website is good news for you.
Author Bio: Megan Neilsen – Meg is a motorbike and car enthusiast who loves anything vehicle-related. She enjoys writing and enjoys riding her motorbike on the weekend. She has a young family and enjoys life.